Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Treatment Update...

As you all know from my previous "Treatment Plan"  post, I was hoping to be on a research trial. Unfortunately the insurance that we will have until the end of the month doesn't like research trials even though it would be better for the doctors, myself, and the insurance company. It's just one of those things! The oncgology group could appeal it, but that would add a couple of weeks to the process. I have been on the phone with the doctor's office throughout the past couple of days and we have been trying to figure out a way to make it work, including waiting until January 1 to start treatment so that I could be on trial if the new insurance would cover it. Like I have said before, I have been trusting God with these decisions and trusting that he knows what I need and when I need it and that He will work through the doctors. My doctor was back in the office today and is pulling me off trial and is going to do the "normal" treatment for this diagnosis. Which is the same IV chemo and Herceptin. The difference is that I won't be getting the experimental drug Tykerb, which I may not have gotten on trial anyway. She doesn't want to wait, I am trusting that decision.

I have scans (MUGA (heart), CT, and bone) on Friday and Monday and my first treatments will be scheduled Friday and will probably take place sometime next week. The good news is that usually at the end of your three week cycle is when you feel best, which should put me around Christmas, yay!

I know you were all just DYING to hear about my next health food tid bit, but I guess you'll have to stand the suspense for a little while :-)

I also wanted to share that I just read my Rick Warren devotional before I wrote this entry and it was so appropriate, so here is the link if you are interested...
http://profile.purposedriven.com/dailyhope/post.html?contentid=5464

5 comments:

  1. If we can do anything to help while we are there at Christmas to help, let us know. It kills me that insurance companies and not doctors dictate care. But, I'll get on that soapbox another day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alissa- yea that is exactly what the advocate at the doctor's office said. She hasn't lost an appeal though, so they do fight it. I just don't have the time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUCK!!! But know that God is in the drivers seat! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH! Frustrating for you I know...but you are in the best of hands!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allison, They are moving right along with your treatments. This Tues. thru Thurs. I will be hanging out with my sister. Please feel free to call the house if you need time. Leah should be home along with a few others. Your kids were fantastic the other day and are welcome any-time. You have helped us Allison and have given of yourself so freely. Keep April in mind. She is really settled and is actually having an after church lunch for her friends. She made home-made soup and pies. She is making such a good neighbor at such a young age. Phoebe is smiling at two months and pulling herself to standing. The doctors are trying to keep her off her feet until she is older but she is an athletic little baby. Hope your having a great weekend and that you were able to fing your Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete