Monday, March 14, 2011

Think Spring

Believe it or not it is just around the corner. We Central New Yorker's know to never trust that early thaw, we smile and think, oh this is nice, but deep down inside we feel the threat of another blizzard or freezing rain storm. Spring...not only a welcome change in the seasons but a symbol of new beginnings, life, growth, and change. I really cannot think of a better time for me to finish up my chemo treatments really.

I have been looking forward to finishing up some home improvement projects (or I have been looking forward to other people finishing them) but we need the warm spring weather. Even though once again fall was crazy (diagnosis time) and I didn't plant bulbs....again...I cannot wait to see the beautiful crocuses and tulips poking up from the barely thawed ground in their brilliance promising that the gray doesn't last forever. I am thankful for my neighbors who have planted bulbs! Needless to say I am so excited for spring. I can already smell the fresh air blowing off the last remains of snow spots in the yard and fresh mud. I can hear the kids squealing with delight on the first real "warm" day that allows them to swing with the wind blowing in their faces on the first good warm outside day of the season. I cannot wait to get an early spring garden in since the beds are all ready from last year. I look forward to having play dates with good friends that allow us to sit and relax and watch the kids run.

About a month or so ago at our women's bible study meeting our coordinator gave a great talk about being stuck in the throws of winter and how that can get us down. She talked about how we literally need sunlight to stave off anxiety, depression, and fight disease (lack of vitamin D and B12 are linked to cancer). Fresh air and sunlight are quite literally necessary to live a good healthy life. She concluded by demonstrating that this is another metaphor that God uses between His creation and our spiritual life. We need "Son" light to get through the darkest days of winter in our lives. There have been so many times where doubt and fear have come at me in this and so many trials in our lives. God just asks us to depend on his care to get us through that time. When we allow his light to come in, He purifies us and makes us new. Only He can melt away the hard gray ice in our lives. Only He can bring the new beginning we have been looking for. Get ready to breathe in the fresh air of spring and celebrate change and renewal. I know I am ready!!
Here is a great link to an article about sunshine and cancer. Very good read!
http://www.alsearsmd.com/the-sun-is-your-sunscreen/

2 comments:

  1. I visited multiple web pages except the audio quality for audio songs present at this web page is really superb.


    Also visit my web blog :: pilates exercise guide

    ReplyDelete